CBoxRun Support Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No help with installation.

2 posters

Go down

No help with installation. Empty No help with installation.

Post  message Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:25 am

I'm a little disappointed with CBox frontend.
I remember some dos commands back from dark days, when my monitor was all black and honey but I'm complete newbie with DosBox and trying to install and run 'the orient express' game. Frontend wasn't helpful at all.
First. Frontend installation. How the hell can i know, where Dosbox stores his preferences file? It took me few minutes to find path
"c:\Documents and Settings\...\Local Settings\Application Data\DOSBox\" - Cbox should know this default.

And then game install. 'The Last Express' is on the list, GREAT. Wizard asking me for path to executable and setup files INSIDE dosbox's sanbox directory. But i need a little help to INSTALL from cdroms. No help for me Sad

Eventually i found basic dosbox tutorials. mount c c:\dosbox\oldgames ; mount d j:\ -t cdrom.

Well, frontend no longer needed.

Back to top Go down

No help with installation. Empty Re: No help with installation.

Post  CBoxRun Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:47 am

Hi,

Sorry you had a tough time installing your program.

I'm not sure why you had to search for the DOSBox config file. As long as you specify the path to the DOSBox executable first, CBoxRun will default to the AppData/Local directory for you. All you have to do at that point is choose the config file.

As for help with installation, that would be nice, but every game is different - some use installers, some don't; some run via batch files or .com files instead of .exes, etc. I don't know how it would be possible for a front-end to predict the installation method needed for every game, especially when we don't know in advance if you require a CD or have some cracked "abandonware" copy. We can make some things easier, but we can't make -everything- easier, unfortunately.

Thanks for the comments - we'll keep them in mind when working on usability for future versions.
CBoxRun
CBoxRun
Admin

https://cboxrun.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum